Wednesday, January 23, 2008

Trouble? Who Me?!?! (Part 2)

What is it with Joshua & locking doors?!
He was playing so nicely up in his sister's room. After a short while, I heard him banging on the door over & over. Intuitively, I just knew he'd locked himself in her room. I put the baby in her exersaucer so I could have peace of mind that she was in a safe place while I went to check out the situation.

Sure enough, the door is locked from the INSIDE. As you can see, it's not just a push-button lock that I could easily manipulate to open from my side of the door. So, the only option I had was to take a screwdriver & remove the doorknob. I finally got the knob off on my side & it dropped into Josh's hand on the other side. That's when the tears started flowing for him as he thought he had broken the door & probably figured he was going to be in big trouble. In spite of my attempts to tell him it was o.k., he was not in trouble, he continued to cry & be upset. I ran back downstairs and managed to find a leftover sucker in a cupboard & unwrapped it & pushed it under the door for him in hopes that it would calm him down while I worked to get him out of the room. (It didn't really work.)

Even with the knobs off the door, the lock wasn't coming undone. I finally had to wedge the screwdriver between the moulding of the door and pry the latch open that way. I was thrilled when the door suddenly popped right open. I could just picture the headlines:

MOM SAVES 2 YEAR OLD BOY FROM HIS OWN PREDICAMENT IN 10 MINUTES!

Maybe I shouldn't be proud of the time it took...maybe it means I'm a lousy "breaker and enterer" but regardless, I saved my little boy! He happily picked up his sucker & continued his day as though nothing had happened. I proceeded with my day as well, preparing dinner for the family...except with greasy black fingerprints on my shirt from his little hands & a slight pink stain from his sucker rubbing on me. (Figures I was wearing a white shirt!!)

1 comment:

Kat said...

Oh man! I think it's time for some replacement non-locking door knobs.